close up shot of a home's gas stove

5 Home Fire Hazards You Must Always Pay Attention To

There are a lot of items inside a house that require constant supervision. However, those that have threats of igniting a fire should be the ones you focus on. A sudden blaze or an explosion might put you and your loved ones in danger. You must be aware of the fire hazards inside your home. Supervision allows you to take preventive measures before an accident ever happens. Here are a few things you should always keep an eye on to avoid fires:

Gas Stove

A fire might be dangerous, but it is essential to a few tasks inside the house. You will need a fire to help you cook meals for you and your family. Fortunately, gas stoves provide people with a commonly safe way to use the flame for cooking. However, you must keep a close watch on the appliance at all times. You should consider turning off the gas stove after every use. Never let a cooking pan stay too long underneath the fire. Grease can ignite the flame, which also means that you have to clean the stove frequently. If a fire starts on the gas stove, you need to do your best to get out of the area.

Electrical Outlets

Electrical outlets often spark when you try to plug in a device or an appliance. While it may be common, a spark is a sign that the plugged-in item can ignite a flame. You need to be wary of the condition of electrical outlets as well. When sockets come in contact with water, they can start fires and ruin the electric system inside your house. Plugged-in extension cords are also known as fire hazards. You must be aware of the potential threats posed by electrical systems to avoid compromising your safety.

Stacked Paper

You will take home a lot of work documents. Your kids will also have homework from school. Some of your paperwork also includes house bills, magazines, and books. While there are usually no problems with having the material inside your home, you must remember that paper is highly flammable. You should avoid stacking all of your paper in one place to ensure that the pieces do not spread fire faster. If you have a specific place for paperwork like contracts and certifications, you should consider locking them in a safe.

Dryer Lint

Dryer Lint in washing machine

The washing machine uses water, which is why a lot of homeowners believe that it is not a fire hazard. However, the dryer vent will produce lint after several uses of a washing machine. The filter in your vent will prevent lint from escaping, which means that you need to remove the particle by yourself. If you do not have an idea of how to deal with lint, you should hire professionals that perform dryer vent cleaning in Nashville.


There is a lot of use for fire inside a home despite its threat to the homeowners. People often have fireplaces inside their homes to provide warmth, especially during the winter season. Traditional chimneys will provide homeowners with space for a campfire, but the embers might start causing a fire. You should consider switching to thermostats or upgrading your HVAC system as a safer means to provide a warm temperature.

You will encounter a lot of fire hazards inside your home, but these items possess the most threatening presence. It is difficult to make your home fireproof, which is why you should stay alert and prepared if an emergency happens.

Scroll to Top